Wow your guests with thoughtful items in the guest room
There’s nothing better than welcoming a beloved friend or family member into your home, is there? Well, maybe there is–surprising them with a basket of thoughtfully chosen goodies! Every guest room can benefit from a welcome basket and Melinda Diaz, owner of Design in the City at The Village at Briarcliff, has plenty of ideas to make your basket spectacular.
“I just like to think of things that I like. I hate when I get to someone’s house and get hungry late at night. You don’t want to rummage through the kitchen. So I like to include some fun snacks,” she says. Providing a large bottle of water is also thoughtful.
She also likes to add items that help guests relax, like luxury bath products for both men and women. For ladies, she loves the Lollia line (so does Oprah–they were on her favorite things list!), with its scent of white tea, linden, bergamot, and honeysuckle.
For gents, deeper scents are a great idea. Even the burliest guy can relax with the scent of Voluspa’s Baltic Amber candle and an Archipelago Boticario De Havana soap on a rope. And for the those that like to be discreet in the en suite, Poo-Pouri Royal Flush can ensure that there is no embarrassment to be had.
Here are just a few of Diaz’s favorite things, all photographed in our dream bedrooms at Nell Hill’s!
1. Lollia Dream Shea Butter Handcream, $26.95
Lollia Dream Perfumed Soap, $36.95
Lollia Dream Bubble Bath, $55.00
2. Lollia Wish Perfumed Candle, $36.95
Lollia Wish Shower Gel, $24
The Cottage Greenhouse Relaxing Bath Soak, $36.95
3. Archipelago Boticario De Havana Body Wash, $32.95
Archipelago Boticario De Havana Hand Creme, $28.95
Archipelalgo Boticario De Havana Soap on a Rope, $16.95
4. Voluspa Baltic Amber Candle, $29.95
Poo-Pourri Royal Flush, $10.95
5. Spongelle’ Cleanse-Exfoliate Body Sponge, $13.95
6. Lemon Cozy Bootie Socks, $35.00
7. Lolli & Pops Sea Salt Potato Chip Chocolate Bar, $12.95
Lolli & Pops Cookies & Cream Chocolate Bar, $12.95
Tips For Building a Better Basket
1. Think practically–water and snacks are universally needed. A little salty and a little sweet keeps things well-rounded. If you have an electric kettle in the room, tea bags are also a nice touch.
2. Mix up your scents. Not everyone loves florals, so offer a variety of scents that can appeal to both men and women.
3. Keep it cozy. There’s nothing worse than being cold in your room but not wanting to wake up your host. Include cozy socks or keep an extra throw easily available.